As a second wave of the “Jersey Shore” phenomenon sweeps the nation with its cast’s unique seaside culture, our private chefs have rekindled their interest in classic Italian-American inspired food and drink for a day at the beach — minus the drama. Our favorite Guidos and Guidettes, along with the Jersey Shore they call home, inspired the recipes for this perfect meal to enjoy on the beach while working on your tan or on the couch with friends watching the newest episode of Season Two. Wash down our Italian Sausage Sandwich with Peppers and Onions with a glass of our “Snookie Punch,” and you’ll enjoy a responsible taste of the Jersey Shore lifestyle.
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
8 cups diced seedless watermelon (1 pound)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 3/4 cups blueberries
3/4 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves, plus 8 sprigs for garnish
1 1/4 cups silver tequila
1. In a small saucepan, bring the water to a simmer with the sugar and stir over moderate
heat until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute; let the sugar syrup cool.
2. In a blender, puree the watermelon until smooth. Set a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl and
strain the watermelon juice, pressing gently on the solids to extract as much juice as
possible. Discard the pulp.
3. In a large pitcher, combine the sugar syrup with the lime juice, blueberries and mint
leaves. Using a wooden spoon, lightly muddle the blueberries and mint. Add the watermelon
juice and tequila. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
4. Pour the cocktail into tall ice-filled glasses. Garnish with the mint sprigs and serve.
Italian Sausage Sandwich with Peppers and Onions*
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup parmesan, grated
6 sweet Italian sausages
1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
6 thin slices of provolone cheese
6 hoagie or steak sandwich rolls
(See below for Classic Marinara recipe)
1. Heat up a large skillet until it begins to smoke; add 2 tablespoons olive oil and the sausages. Brown on all sides (3-4 minutes) and remove from the pan; add the peppers and the yellow onions to the same sausage pan.
2. Cook over medium-high heat for about 6-7 minutes or until the vegetables begin to caramelize. Add the sausage back in, along with the tomato sauce and parmesan cheese; bring to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for about 25-30 minutes.
3. Spoon one sausage and a few peppers and onions into a warm hoagie roll. Top with 1 slice of provolone cheese. Place sandwich on a tray and under a broiler until cheese is melted.
*For a real Jersey Shore treat, add castmate Snookie’s favorite food to your sandwich; slices of crisp dill pickles.
Yield: 4 Cups
32 ounces caned Muir Glen or other organic tomatoes
1/2 yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon parsley
1 tablespoon basil
1/4 cup red wine
1. Over medium heat, sweat onions in some olive oil.
2. Add garlic and parsley, cook until golden.
3. Deglaze with wine, let simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes.
5. Cook for 30 minutes on low heat.
6. Make sure to stir, as it will burn easily.
7. Finish with fresh basil.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
Soft Italian Cheesecake
4 Egg Yolks
¼ C. Sugar
1 t. Vanilla Extract
Zest of 1 Orange
Juice of 1 Orange
¼ C. Brandy
1 C. Mascarpone Cheese
1 C. Cream Cheese, Softened
1. Soak Lady Fingers with Brandy and Orange Juice. Set aside.
2. Whip egg yolks, sugar, and orange zest over double boiler until thick and pale yellow – not too much heat or the eggs will scramble. Place over ice bath and continue to whip until mixture is cool.
3. Incorporate cream cheese and mascarpone cheese. Make sure the mixture is smooth, not lumpy.
4. Place ladyfingers on the bottom of dessert cups, top with cheese cake mixture, and cool. Serve with whipped cream and dust with cinnamon.