We adore pumpkin. Whether it’s pumpkin ravioli with brown butter and crispy sage, classic pumpkin pie, or Linus Van Pelt sitting in the pumpkin patch waiting in vain for the Great Pumpkin like an autumnal Samuel Beckett character, we can’t get enough of the stuff. Heck, even our office is covered in pumpkins. You may have enjoyed some of our previous pumpkin recipes this season, but we promise, these will be the last of them. (Well, maybe.) So we implore you, join us in celebrating the Halloween season with these delicious pumpkin recipes!
Pumpkin and Butternut Squash Soup Served in a Baby Pumpkin Shell
1 Small Organic Butternut Squash, Peeled and cut into 1/2″ cubes
4 Organic Sugar Pumpkins, 2 Peeled and cut into 1/2″ cubes; 2 hollowed
1 Large Yellow Onion, Thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon Madras Curry Powder
1 slice Ginger, 1″ slice; peeled and thinly sliced
1 Clove Garlic, Peeled and sliced
1 Cup Unsweetened coconut milk
5 Cups Low-Sodium Free-Range Chicken Broth
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons Unsalted organic butter
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Teaspoon Cilantro Leaves, Finely chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. In a large stock pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and cook until it’s tender and translucent (approx. 10 minutes).
3. Add the curry powder, ginger and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add the squash and pumpkin; season with salt and pepper.
5. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
6. Stir in the coconut milk and chicken stock; bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer.
7. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender when poked with a fork (approx. 20 minutes).
8. Puree the soup in a blender until smooth.
9. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve.
10. For the garnish, whip the heavy cream, cilantro and salt and pepper until stiff peaks form; refrigerate until ready to use.
11. Serve the soup in the baby pumpkin shell topped with the cilantro cream.
Pumpkin Buttermilk Pudding Cake
1.5 cups canned pumpkin
4 ea large eggs
2.5 cups buttermilk
4 Tbs unsalted butter
1.5 cup sugar
1.5 cup all purpose flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp baking soda
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp fresh grated nutmeg
½ tsp kosher salt
Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light. Add pumpkin puree, buttermilk and melted butter. In a separate bowl sift the remaining dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture whisking until incorporated.
Coat a 3 quart baking dish with butter. Add the mixture and bake in a water bath in a 400 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
Bourbon Caramel Sauce
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup water
¼ cup bourbon
1/8 cup buttermilk
1 Tbs butter
Place sugar in a small non-reactive pan. Wash sides of pan with the water and make sure there is no sugar coating the sides. Turn flame on medium and melt sugar until golden brown. Do not stir!! When sugar is caramelized and the color of a penny, add buttermilk and bourbon, stirring quickly to incorporate. Add butter and stir until smooth. Serve over Pumpkin-Buttermilk Pudding cake