Fall has finally arrived, and for much of the country, that means bikinis are off the fashion menu for the next six months. The good news is that, at last, you can unbutton those tight jeans and satisfy your chocolate cravings with these decadent desserts! There’s plenty of time after the New Year to work it all off.
These are two of our all-time most popular chocolate desserts. The brownies have a slight kick of spice and heat, while the mochas offer a legitimate way to sneak a bit of liqueur into your final course of the night. Enjoy, and please let us know how they turn out!
Decadent Chocolate Brownies with Vosges Cinnamon and Chipotle Chocolate Chunks
1 pound Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
1 pound Organic Unsalted Butter
6 ounces Unsweetened Chocolate
6 extra large Cage-Free Eggs
3 tablespoons Instant Espresso
2 tablespoons Madagascar Vanilla Extract
2 1/4 cups Granulated Cane Sugar
1 cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
12 ounces Vosges Cinnamon Chipotle Chocolate, Broken into Chunks
1. Melt together the butter, chocolate chips and unsweetened chocolate on top of a double boiler.
2. Cool slightly.
3. Whisk together the eggs, instant espresso, vanilla and sugar. Stir in the warm chocolate mixture and allow it to cool to room temperature.
4. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the cooled chocolate mixture.
5. Toss the chocolate chunks with a 1/4 cup of flour to coat and add to the chocolate batter.
6. Line a 13″x18″x1.5″ pan really well with 3 layers of tin foil; grease the foil and add the brownie batter, spreading evenly.
7. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 20 minutes; tap the pan against the oven rack to remove air bubbles.
8. Bake for another 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean; let cool thoroughly!
9. Remove and cut into cubes while still on the tin foil.
Miniature Hot Chocolate Liqueur-Scented Mochas
1 Quart Organic Whole Milk
8 ounces Semi-Sweet Chocolate, Coarsely chopped
1/4 Cup Liqueur (such as orange- or raspberry-scented)
1 Cup Brewed Instant Espresso
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1 teaspoon Vanilla
2 Tablespoons Kahlua
3 Tablespoons Granulated Cane Sugar
1. Heat the milk until it begins to simmer, then pour over the chocolate, whisking until smooth.
2. Add the hot brewed espresso and Kahlua.
3. For the whipped cream, combine heavy cream, Kahlua, vanilla and sugar until medium-stiff peaks form.
4. Pour into miniature cups and garnish with whipped cream and one chocolate-covered espresso bean (optional).